Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings


This was tonight's dinner and one of my favs. It's a great comfort dish. Not the best picture but I haven't made anything out of the slow cooker that looked picture-worthy. Anyway, I've italicized my adjustments to the original recipe I found on allrecipes.com. I just used some of the suggestions people posted underneath.

Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 6 Hrs

Original Recipe Yield 8 servings

Ingredients

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons butter
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 onion, finely diced
2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces
Directions

1. Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.
I season the chicken with poultry season, salt and pepper. I also use a can of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom or celery. I also chop up some celery (2-3), carrots (2), potatoes (1), frozen peas (1/2 a bag), frozen corn (1/2 a bag). And instead of water, I use low sodium, organic chicken broth.
2. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High.
3. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.
First, rip up the chicken with a fork so the insides get a bit of the sauce too. I usually add the dough about an hour or so before the end. I just tear it and push them under the broth.

No comments: