Sunday, June 21, 2009

Where the Heart Is

Yesterday, I went back to my hometown to attend Chelle's bachelorette party.  I've gone back to Frederick to run a few errands, but have not gone downtown in a long time.  It was nice to be back - driving around route 40, down the dark-ass roads by Fitz's house.  I enjoyed walking around downtown and seeing how much the town has changed, and not changed.  Parts of downtown are so beautiful, but there are still ignorant jerks, but I guess you can find those anywhere.  It was fun running into people I haven't seen in years, but I think I will have to trim the fat on Facebook.  I figure if you can't say hi to me when you see me in person, then we shouldn't be Facebook friends.

Even though nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks, at the same time, I felt like a stranger.  When I'm in the middle of my tight knit circle of girlfriends, I feel very much at home.  They are really the only reason I am still connected there.  But, I don't even know how to get around anymore - I thought Middletown was near Walkersville.  Most of all, I felt kind of out of place.  Even though it's home, it's not anymore.  I felt a sigh of relief when I got near Tysons Corner, a bit giddy when I rounded up Nutley Street, and elation when I got into my own bed.  

10 years ago, Frederick was all I knew.  I never thought I would let it go, but now I realize I have.  When did that happen?  I've come so far from where I was.  And I'm happy right here!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

call me with details! i want to hear who didnt say hi and who we can trim! hahaha.