Friday, June 5, 2009

HONG KONG DAY 6+7

I did not get any sleep that night.  I kept worrying about Mr. Ho.  What if he got lost?  What if he got thrown in jail?  What if those boys took him somewhere shady?  I was scared and relieved when he walked in that door.  Thank goodness we had "separate" beds (they accidentally gave us one single bed, so Mr. Ho pushed his cot next to mine) because he smelled of smoke, badly.  You can smoke in restaurants and bars there, and it took 3 washings to get that smell out of my hair.

In the morning, we went to the salon for a wash and style in preparation for the wedding.  They gave me the most relaxing, most luxurious hair wash.  Girl made love to my hair follicles.  It was a great start to a tiring morning.  

SIL and I went shopping in Causeway Bay.  We had some really good sushi and then she had to leave me to do some wedding preparations.  I stayed by myself and shopping around.  I really relished the alone time and being able to go in-and-out of shops at my own pace.  

In the evening, SIL came over so the groom and bride did not spend the pre-wedding night together.  She kicked Mr. Ho out of my room and slept "next" to me - in her cot.  (Let it be known that I did offer her the better bed!)  Her auntie came over to do this special hair combing ceremony.  

The wedding day was such a blur.  Shirley and her assistant came over at 7:30 AM to do our make-up and hair.  The photographers and videographers shot us doing everything.  Right before we got in the elevator, the videographer pointed the camera to SIL and I and said, "Act cuter!"  I guess we were not fobby enough for him.  So we did the fob peace sign and called it a day.  A Bentley wisked us away to the cathedral. 

SIL was cool as a cucumber and not nervous at all.  She looked so beautiful!  The ceremony was so nice and I actually did not cry!  But I did have tissues on hand for SIL - she only needed it once :)  After photos, we all had lunch at the Banker's Club while the new bride and groom took portraits elsewhere.

At the Hong Kong Club, I helped SIL and mom get dressed in their traditional outfits for the tea ceremony.  Then helped them change again for the reception.  I was a crazy mess before the speech.  I was so nervous I could feel my heart jumping out of my throat.  I downed some wine and was definitely tipsy.  Definite evidence of tipsiness - I totally forgot which bags my stuff was in and my YSLs were missing for about 24 hours.  I was PISSED the next day.

Everything about the wedding was gorgeous - the venues, the flowers (especially), the food (foie gras, surf and turf, and I think mango cake), and of course the bride and groom.  I just realized I now have 2 brothers!  How fun.

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Poon!  Can't wait to do it again in a week!

No comments: