Friday, June 5, 2009

HONG KONG DAY 4+5


I had a blueberry muffin the next morning, and boy, did it taste extra-delicious!  Mr. Ho had been bringing me these really good hotdog croissants but a pastry really hit the spot.  We met the in-law's and SIL's family up for dimsum at one of the original dimsum houses on the island - Luk Yu.  It was the BEST dimsum I've ever had.  SIL and her hubby-to-be gave us a quick tour of Lan Kwai Fong, which is pretty much the bar district.  We took the longest escalator ride up to the Hong Kong Zoological Center.  SIL wanted to walk back, but us Americans were so hot and tired of walking.  This is why asians are so small, people.  They walk EVERYWHERE.  Mr. Ho and the parents wanted to go back to the apartment, so SIL and I spent some quality time shopping and drinking more Hui Lau Shan!  We were so preoccupied that she "missed" her videographer appointment.  Oops.

Later that evening, SIL's in-laws picked us up to take us to dinner at this seafood market.  I
 forget what the restaurant was called - Saigong, maybe?  I don't know.  Each restaurant has a corresponding street market.  So after getting your table, you go down to pick out your dinner - all fresh, breathing creatures.  I was SO happy.  I love fresh seafood.  We had crabs, urchin, shrimp (actually called peepee shrimp), more fish and topped it off with mango pudding.  I was SO stuffed.  

Mr. Ho and I met up with a friend at a bar called Dragon-i in Lan Kwai Fong.  It was "model night."  Apparently, if you are a model, you get half-off drinks or something like that.  My question is, do you have some kind of special model identification card?  I could have claimed to be one of Tyra Bank's new short contestants on America's Next Top Model!  Or a Mrs. Asia USA contestant.  HAHAHAHAH!

Anyway, we met up with SIL, her fiance, and his groomsmen at Salon de Ning.  Everyone wanted to keep the party going so we transferred over to this place called Kamar.  

The next day, I went to the wedding rehearsal at St. John's Cathedral and stopped by the reception place at the Hong Kong Club.  This Club is so exclusive that they wouldn't let two of us go upstairs because they were in jeans.  Not even for 10 minutes.  I was really tired so I lounged around the apartment for bit and then went to Sam's Tailors with Mr. Ho.  He had Googled "best Hong Kong souvenirs" and custom suits was one of them.  Sam has done everyone from Michael Jackson, the Clintons, and many many other celebrities and foreign dignitaries.  His walls are plastered with these pictures.  Their labor laws must be very different from ours because Mr. Ho's 3 suits and 3 shirts were done in 2 days.  It took about a month for 1 suit and 1 shirt here in the states.  We decided this deal was too good to be true so we took our dad to get a suit and some shirts made too.  

For dinner, I demanded american food.  Mr. Ho took me to eat at the Intercontinental Hotel, where I chowed down on a caesar salad and a foie gras sandwich.  Chinese food is SO cheap.  You can get a huge bowl of noodles for $2.  My american meal was over $80!  Ridiculous, but I can't even tell you how happy I was afterwards.  Fresh veggies!  Not sauteed and smothered in oyster sauce.  Yes, I was a happy girl.

We met SIL at the apartment and went out to a really nice lounge called Sevva.  Their outdoor seating overlooks the city - very beautiful.  They took the party to this kareoke bar, where it's this one open room with different tables and where EVERYONE can hear you sing.  I did not sing, but boy, my SIL lovessss the microphone.  I was so exhausted and went home early.  But Mr. Ho stayed out till 6:30 AM.  Needless to say, he got a very stern phone call from me around 6 saying, "You better get your ass home before your father wakes up!"

Here is a video of my SIL serenading me.  She really loves me!


No comments: