Friday, June 5, 2009

HONG KONG DAY 2 + 3


Considering I was living with the in-law's, I could not sleep in.  But I didn't need to because I was so excited to explore!  In the morning, the four of us took the Star Ferry over to the Hong Kong side.  We walked all the way to the Peak Tram station, and while it was nice to walk around Central, it was hot.  What am I talking about.  It was hot everyday.  Mr. Ho and I would shower twice a day - once after sight-seeing and again at night.  Gross.  We took this really steep tram up to The Peak, which may be the highest point on the island.  You can see the entire skyline.  It's so beautiful!  Let me tell you though, my mother-in-law's priority was Madame Tussard's Wax Museum.  I never thought I would ever step foot into one of those, but it was a lot of fun!  Kinda creepy sometimes because many of the statues are very lifelike.  

For lunch, we ate at Yung Kee Restaurant, which is pretty well known.  We had goose, 1000 year eggs (my fav!), duck, juk, and these weird pomelo things.  We then split with the parents and Mr. Ho and I shopped around Langham and in Mongkok.  There is a section of Mongkok called Ladies Street, where it's lined with little street markets.  We snacked on noodles in a bag (genius, actually), and I had Hui Lau Shan again!  

ANNOUNCEMENT:  I am in the land of bound feet, and I STILL could not find shoes in my size.  I was expecting to come home with a SUITCASE filled with new shoes in dainty size 34s.  But NO.  The CHINESE laughed at my feet.  Seriously, the irony.

Later that evening, SIL's fiance and father-in-law picked us up to take us to dinner at the Hong Kong Golf Club.  Hong Kong has several exclusive members-only clubs for the rich and mighty.  We were really lucky to have the opportunity to dine there.  We met more of her fiance's family and ate suckling pig, poon choi, and other really good dishes.  

This may have been the evening where I started craving american food...  

The following day, we were graced with SIL's presence in the morning.  The five of us went to eat at the Hong Kong version of Denny's or an IHOP.  I had some eggs with ketchup while the rest of the family ate macaroni soup with abalone.  Oh, SIL also introduced me to this sweet bun drizzled with condensed milk.  HEAVEN and probably about 1000 calories.  We took the subway to take the cable cars up to see the Big Buddha, but they were broken.  I think I was the only one sad about that - everyone else was relieved.  We shopped around the Citygate Outlet center - they actually had a DVF AND a Lanvin outlet store.  We decided to take the bus up to the Buddha instead, and Mr. Ho was NOT feeling well after that ride.  We climbed up the million stairs to see Buddha.  I've never seen anything like it. When we walked down, the in-laws ate this sweet tofu thing, but Mr. Ho and I refused when we saw how they were cleaning the dishes :(  After taking another windy bus ride down, we ate dimsum.  

SIL took the parents shopping while Mr. Ho and I took a delirious nap back at New World.  Mr. Ho stated singing the theme song to the old-ass cartoon, Gummi Bears.  And I sang SpongeBob.  Truly, delirious.  Later that evening, we all went shopping in Causeway Bay in search of that elusive evening gown and success was had!  Service is SO much better in Hong Kong.  I bought a dress that was way too long and alterations were included in the price.  And, everyone bargains.  I think I got 20% off the dress thanks to my mother-in-law's amazing negotiation skills.  Mr. Ho and his father sat across the street at this open bar while all this was going on.  We had dinner at another Shanghainese restaurant, but I hardly ate.  All I thought about was how good kimchee would taste with this food.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember going on that tram and seeing the big buddha. Those buns sound delish! You have great ferocious will power to have only eaten 1. These entries are so long- I forgot yet again.