Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hide Yo Kids. Hide Yo Wife.

When I can't sleep, my mind wanders to strange places. I think about what I would do if I won the lotto. Or how I would do things differently in my past. Lately, I think about what I would do if an intruder came into our home or if our house was about to blow to bits/War of the Worlds type situation and I only had 10 minutes to get stuff together.

Scenario 1: Intruder
If we were all sleeping, we would be aware of the intruder because Rocky would start barking. I would wake Mr. Ho, grab my cell phone, and run into Olivia's room. We would then lock the door, push the dresser and whatever else furniture in front of the door and call 911. We would all hide in her bathroom and lock the door. Fortunately, we have a police station down the street so here's hoping they respond quickly!

I have no scenario for what a day break-in. Since it would be just Olivia and I, we would either run out the door, if possible, and scream bloody murder. Or lock ourselves in some room.

Scenario 2: 10 Minutes to Escape the House
This scenario makes me antsier than the Intruder scenario. Just 10 minutes to grab stuff? Mr. Ho would put Olivia and the dog in the car. I would grab trashbags and grab our wallets, other documents, laptops. Then I would grab diapers, all the breastmilk, my damn pump, and just everything I could grab in Olivia's room. If I had a few more minutes, I would grab jewelry, contacts, and whatever else I could grab from our closets. Oh, and some dog food. Should I bring detergent? Soap? Batteries? Flashlight? No time!

I'm getting myself all worked up now and will probably have a hard time falling asleep. I feel like I'm missing something in the Escape the House plan!

No comments: