Friday, April 27, 2012

Perspective/Happy Early Mother's Day

I just wanted to give a special shout-out to ALL the mom's out there.  Young and old.  Stay-at-home mommies and working mommies.

You will never know the words "it is the hardest job out there" until you have lived it.  It is ALL-consuming.  You sacrifice every part of you, physical, mental, and emotional to raising your child.  Every decision you make revolves around them and their ultimate happiness.

I pray every night for her safety, happiness and well-being.  I never want to pressure her to be that straight-A girl.  There is more to life than academics and extra-curricular activities.  I just want her to do the very best at whatever she does.  This life is too short and too fast to be hell-bent on studying your youth away.  Good grades don't guarantee some big-shot career (here's looking at me).

Having a child changes your perspective.  Especially on your parents.  I keep thinking about my youth when there was a "moment" with my mom.  The time she wrote me a letter when I went off to college.  The time she walked out on my piano recital because I messed up a million times (omg, embarrassed just thinking about it).  The times we fought.  The times she told me she was proud of me.  The times she would check in on me after I was asleep - I always heard her.  Now I understand her perspective of me, as HER child.  The hopes she had for me.  My pain is her pain.  My joy is her joy.  And the circle of life (are you picturing The Lion King scene with baby Simba) repeats it self with Olivia.

You can't compare anything to being a mother.  Creating life in your own body is just insane, alien-esque and amazing at once.  And then trying to raise your child is just such a fucking hard thing to do.  It really, REALLY sucks so much of the time.  Like when she cries for no reason and only wants you in the middles of the night.  Or when she deliberately pees all over the couch right after you washed the covers an hour ago.  Or when she looks you straight in the eye and dumps all the food.  But then your kid does something that makes up for it 150% - like smiling at you or yelling "hug" and giving you a ferocious hug.  Or she makes you laugh by saying "Wind tickles!  Silly wind."  WTF, why is she so cute??

She is my everything.

But seriously, give it up for all the dedicated, hard-working moms out there.  They make the world go 'round.

(I want another baby).


1 comment:

Diana said...

ughhh why must you make me cry!!! you are an amazing mother. i hope to one day be like you. :) <3